Danish Authorities Recall Spicy Instant Noodles Due to High Capsaicin Levels

Danish authorities have announced a recall of three types of spicy instant noodles from South Korean company Samyang Foods due to their high capsaicin content, which poses a health risk.

Samyang Foods, a major South Korean company, produces these noodles, which are sold globally.

The recalled products are Buldak Samyang 3 X Spicy & Hot Chicken noodles, Buldak Samyang 2 x Spicy & Hot Chicken, and Buldak Samyang Hot Chicken Stew.

The Associated Press reports that authorities state these products contain an excessively high dose of capsaicin, an active ingredient in chili peppers. Capsaicin is also a chemical that can be toxic and presents a risk of “acute poisoning.”

These noodle dishes, marketed as extremely spicy, have gained popularity on social media, with Danish children and teenagers challenging each other to eat “a strong bowl of noodle soup,” according to the Danish administration.

“The noodle dishes marketed as extremely strong must no longer be sold because consumers and especially children risk acute poisoning,” the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration said. “The capsaicin content is so high that it can pose a health hazard.”

Henrik Dammand Nielsen of the agency stated that those at risk include children, frail adults, and elderly individuals, who could all experience burning and discomfort, nausea, vomiting, and high blood pressure.

“That is why we are now demanding shops remove the products from their shelves,” the agency said.

In a statement to South Korean media, Samyang Foods said the recall was due to the product’s spiciness, not its quality.

Digital has reached out to Samyang Foods for comment.

Spicy food challenges are not new and have been prevalent for years. These challenges sometimes involve local chili pepper eating contests, while others involve making it onto a restaurant wall of fame by completely consuming extra spicy dishes.

A 10th grader with a congenital heart defect participated in a spicy tortilla chip challenge on social media in September but ultimately died from eating a large quantity of chili pepper extract.

The Associated Press obtained the autopsy report, which revealed the 10th grader died after eating the Paqui chip as part of the manufacturer’s “One Chip Challenge.”