US Tourist Dies in Mexico Hot Tub Electrocution, Remembered as Family Man

Jorge Guillen, a 43-year-old American tourist from , died on June 11 while on vacation with his wife in Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, Mexico. According to Mexican prosecutors, Guillen was electrocuted in a hot tub at a private condominium complex. His wife, Lizette Zambrano, 35, was also injured in the incident and remains in critical condition after being transferred to an American hospital. 

A GoFundMe page set up for the couple describes Guillen as having a “heart of gold” and being a “real big family man” who was always there for his family and friends. 

Video footage from the scene shows people screaming and gathering around the hot tub after the incident. A dark object can be seen floating in the water. 


– where Guillen was a student – held a moment of silence in his honor during a graduation ceremony on Friday. 

“Those who knew George knew that he was enthusiastic. He was passionate. He loved HVAC. He was a real big family man. Definitely a very respectable, professional young man,” said Maxine Valencia, the trade school’s president. 

“We are just as saddened as the rest of the world about the passing of our beloved student, Jorge Guillen. The news reached us last night through one of Jorge’s classmates,” the school also wrote on Facebook. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and the family of his wife, Lizzette Zambrano, who remains in critical condition.” 


The El Paso Times reports that Zambrano is a former teacher in the Ysleta Independent School District. 

During the investigation, Mexican officials spoke with a witness who said she saw the couple unresponsive in the jacuzzi. 

The witness also reportedly told investigators that she attempted to enter the jacuzzi after discovering the couple was unresponsive, but she received an electric shock. 

The witness then called for help. 

’ Greg Wehner contributed to this report.