MEMBERS of Cebu’s accommodation and dining industry are urging the public to practice minimum health protocols while eating as a way to prevent the spread of Sars-CoV-2, the virus that causes the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).
The Hotel, Resort and Restaurant Association of Cebu (HRRAC) said the transmission of Sars-CoV-2 does not occur if a person attends a gathering.
“The transmission basically starts when you start bringing down your masks. And it can’t be avoided that during a gathering, you will just eat. It usually involves talking as well,” said HRRAC president Alfred Reyes.
Reyes told SunStar Cebu that the problem usually lies in the fact that while eating, the person keeps talking to the other person he is with.
Reyes said the mindset of being friends, relatives and officemates makes people drop their guard while eating, creating an opportunity for transmission.
Reyes said someone can be a carrier and have infected others but be unaware they are positive because they are asymptomatic.
In just the first seven and a half months of 2021, Cebu has already recorded more than double the 23,172 Covid-19 cases it recorded in the whole of 2020.
Data from the Aug. 13, 2021 bulletin of the Department of Health 7 show that the entire Cebu has recorded 54,929 Covid-19 cases so far this year, 137 percent more than the cases recorded in 2020.
Cebu’s highly urbanized cities of Cebu, Mandaue and Lapu-Lapu have been placed under an extended modified enhanced community quarantine until Aug. 31 due to the continued spike in cases, putting pressure on businesses. (JOB)