THE Cebu City Government will give P15 million in financial assistance to the families who lost their loved ones to Covid-19.
This was announced by City Councilor David Tumulak on Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2021, three days after Mayor Edgardo Labella signed the papers for the distribution of the aid.
Last week, the Cebu City Council approved Tumulak’s resolution asking the Office of the Mayor to release burial assistance to the families of persons who succumbed to Covid-19.
Tumulak said a bereaved family can choose either the P16,000 assistance that comes with a coffin and free services for the dead, or the P35,000 for cremation.
The funds for the P15 million budget will be sourced from the trust fund (P5 million) and quick response fund (P10 million) from the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office.
Tumulak thought of asking the Office of the Mayor to give financial aid because of the increasing numbers of deaths related to Covid-19.
“With this in mind, it is only proper that we find ways how to help our fellow Cebuanos who have been hit by Covid-19 especially in this time where they do not only have to contend with the health implications of being hit by the virus but the financial implication as well,” he said.
Relatives must present a death certificate showing that their dead loved ones were Cebu City residents and the causes of their deaths are Covid-19. (PAC, KAL)